Maria Inés López-Ibor belongs to the third generation of the López-Ibor family, a family that has marked the history of Spanish psychiatry. Professor María Inés López-Ibor completed her medical studies in 1992 and her doctorate in 1994 at the age of 27, receiving that same year the Special Award of the Madrid Complutense University for the best doctoral thesis entitled “Serotonergic Mechanisms in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder”. She specialized in Psychiatry in the year 2001.
She carried out duties in the public health administrations in the past as Vice-Minister of Health Planning, Public Health and Consumer Affairs of the Madrid Autonomous Region and as Vice Dean for Institutional Relations and Economic Affairs of the Faculty of Medicine of the Universidad Complutense de Madrid. At present she is the Director of the Department of Psychiatry at the Faculty of Medicine of the Complutense University of Madrid.
Since its inception in the year 2005 she has been actively promoting the Foundation created by her father, of which she is now President. She is also Healthcare Director of the López Ibor Clinic in Madrid founded by her grandfather in 1967. Her afternoons are devoted to clinical practice in her office taking care of her patients.
Her international projection is reflected in the positions she has held over the past eight years as Scientific coordinator of the Program on Mental Health and Disasters and her activity as a Member of the Education Committee both pertaining to the World Psychiatric Association. She has presented more than 120 papers at national and international congresses
Her research activity is related to the study of mental illness and psychopathology using neuroimaging techniques. She has published more than eighty scientific papers, publications in national and international journals, three books and eighteen chapters of books and supervised five doctoral theses and has presented more than ninety of papers in national and international conferences. Participation as head researcher or co-researcher in 15 national and international projects.
Professor López-Ibor is Corresponding Member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine and of the Royal Academy of Doctors of Spain.
- Director, Department of Psychiatry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- University lecturer for Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (2001).
- Corresponding Member of the Royal National Academy of Medicine.
- Corresponding Member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Doctors.
- President of the Juan José Lopez-Ibor Foundation.
- Member of the Board of the Ortega-Marañón Foundation.
- Healthcare Director of the Clinica López-Ibor.
- Director of the Editorial Board of the Spanish Journal “Actas Españolas de Psiquiatría”.
- Member of the Board of the Fundación Salto for the integration of persons suffering from mental illnesses.
- Member of the Board of the Recal Foundation for the rehabilitation and reintegration of persons suffering from drug addictions.
- Officially recognized research sections (six year terms): 3 (1998-2003, 2004-2009, 2009-2014).
- Deputy Minister of Health Planning, Public Health and Consumer of the Madrid Region (2003-2005).
- Associate Dean for Institutional Relations and Economic Affairs of the Faculty of Medicine of the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Healthcare Director of USP Hospital Group and President of the Advisory Board of the same group (2007-2012).
- Graduated in Medicine and Surgery by the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (1992).
- Doctoral Degree from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (1994).
- Extraordinary Award of the Complutense University for the best doctoral thesis (1994) with a study on “Serotoninergic Mechanisms in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders”.
- Specialist in Psychiatry (2001).
- General Management Program from the IESE Business School (Madrid): Hospital management.